Saturday, November 22, 2008

Smalley's Jerk Chicken Sandwich

I enjoyed my meal so much the first time I went to Smalley's that I had to go back just 2 weeks later. Actually, my brother and sister-in-law were in town and my parents were heading back to Stillwater, so I jumped at the chance to enjoy another meal at Smalley's and was thrilled that I could do it with my family.

It was a very cold and windy day down by the water, so after some serious retail therapy for my mom and sister-in-law we rushed into the warmth of Smalley's and plopped down right next to their huge fireplace. The room was pretty sparse, which is too bad, but I didn't mind because I knew I was in for a treat. We all deliberated for a bit and I settled in on the Jerk Chicken sandwich (please note my picture is of the pulled chicken sandwich). Smalley's specializes in smoking their meats with authentic pimento wood, so I figured they could make a mean jerk sandwich. I was not disappointed.

The huge sandwich came out and was adorned with an awesome pirate brand. The roll was soft and able to keep the heft of the sandwich in check while absorbing the Jamaican seasoning. The jerk rub was bold and had the perfect mix of the smoke and a nice spicy finish. The flavors were simply harmonious, and the chicken was nice and juicy - not even a hint of dry out. The sandwich had a good piece of crunchy lettuce and a thick slice of tomato to help smooth out the bold jerk spices. The kicker for me and what really helped make the sandwich great was the homemade spiced pickles. It's little touches like that that can really elevate a sandwich to rock star status. The extra vinegar and heat supplied by the potent pickles was a nice way to add onto the already intense flavors.

Sandwich rating: Killer. There's no way I'll go back to Stillwater without going there, and I can see the frequency of my trips increasing based on the quality of the food at Smalley's alone. They added all the little extras that makes for a great little (huge, actually) sandwich.

Happy Eating,

-Teddy


1 comment:

Katie said...

I don't make it to Stillwater much, but I will definitely try Smalley's when I'm in the area. Nice review!